My favorite Starbucks Christmas drink has always been their White Chocolate Peppermint Mochas. The only problem is that there is no way to make them dairy free, and they are loaded with sugar. With Christmas quickly approaching and this spell of cold weather I was craving this white peppermint mocha, so I decided to figure out how to make it without the dairy using raw cocoa butter and coconut milk. The result – divine. This is the perfect substitute to warm you up on a cold winter’s day – creamy, nutty, and spiked with just a hint of peppermint, it is perfect for the holiday season.
The cocoa butter used in this recipe can be a bit on the expensive side, but I am working on other uses for it as well! I picked up the Big Tree Farms brand at Sprouts, but this one on Amazon looks like a good purchase too since you can buy a smaller amount.
I am back from Hawaii! I had planned to blog while there, and had even pre-planned a ton of recipes, but I decided to take the time to really disconnect for the first time in years, and I am so glad I did. I saw so many amazing things while I was there, and every day was a new activity. We hiked a mountain with the most breathtaking views, kayaked to a deserted island, drove around almost all of Oahu stopping to see some of the most beautiful beaches in the world and watch surfers and sea turtles, did morning yoga, ate great food, and took plenty of time to lay on the beach. Most exciting of all – we got engaged!!!
Even though coming back home was a little bit hard after such an amazing vacation, I’m still on Cloud 9 so it is hard to complain. A few vacation lessons I learned – it is okay to disconnect every once in a while. I’m going to make a greater effort to put down my phone in favor of connecting with those around me. I also learned how much better I feel doing more activity. Every day we had some kind of physical activity planned, and it felt great! I had taken some time off from exercising, partially due to a hectic schedule and partially because I needed time off due to a recurring shoulder and back injury I needed to heal. After this vacation though, I am ready to jump back in!
Later this week I’ll talk more about eating well while traveling, for now, enjoy this White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha recipe!
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk
- 1/2 Cup Maple Syrup or Honey
- 2 oz Cacao Butter
- 1/4 tsp Peppermint Extract
- 1 Cup Almond Milk
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Milk
- 2 Tbs White Peppermint Mocha Syrup
- 4 oz Espresso or Cold Brew Concentrate
- Whisk coconut milk, cocoa butter, and syrup over medium heat until cocoa butter is melted. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer mixture for 5-6 minutes until thick and syrupy.
- Stir in Peppermint extract.
- Make your espresso either by using an espresso maker or by using extra-strong brewed coffee or cold brew concentrate.
- Warm milk and white peppermint mocha syrup over medium heat until lightly simmering, about 4 minutes.
- Blend with immersion blender, or whisk vigorously. Add in coffee and blend again.