This gluten free Pao De Queijo (aka Brazilian Cheese Bread) is soft and fluffy inside, crispy on the outside, and incredibly addictive. The addition of a little green onion takes it to a new level and makes it the perfect candidate to use as buns for sandwiches or sliders! When we were in Hawaii, the last thing we ate was a pulled pork slider with guava glaze on Pao de Queijo at a farmer’s market. Ever since then I’ve been dying to re-create them!
I first came across Pao De Queijo at a popular Brazilian steakhouse chain, Fogo de Chao. I was so excited to go to a restaurant and find out the bread was 100% gluten free! I have also bought it in store from Brazi Bites and Against The Grain bread. While I love these products (and eating the bread in restaurants) Pao de Queijo is most frequently made with canola oil. I also have trouble with lactose and these products contain milk and higher-lactose cheeses. Plus making something homemade is always better and allows you to customize!
A few things here, you cannot make these without cheese, so if you have a dairy intolerance or can’t have casein these aren’t a good option for you. I’ve found through a lot of experimentation that my problem is with lactose, rather than with all dairy, so I can’t tolerate milk or high lactose cheeses like mozzarella or ricotta, but I do fine with harder cheeses. I used a raw, lactose-free cheddar in these and it turned out perfectly!
For the oil, I recommend either avocado oil or extra light olive oil. When you finish combining everything for the bread, it isn’t going to look like your typical bread. It will be very sticky and a little hard to handle. It is VERY important that you dip the spoon or ice cream scoop you are using to make the buns in water between making each one, otherwise it will stick to the scoop and you won’t be able to shape them.
Also, you can really do whatever you want with this recipe. Try different cheeses, add garlic or garlic powder, or change up the seasonings- maybe an Italian-style take with basil, parsley, oregano, and parmesan!
- 1/2 Cup Light Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
- 3/4 Cup Coconut Milk
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 Cups Tapioca Flour
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Thinly Sliced Green Onion
- Preheat oven to 350
- Bring coconut milk, oil and salt to a boil. Watch closely so it doesn't boil over.
- Add green onion to milk mixture.
- Add tapioca flour slowly, stirring with spoon. Let sit 5-10 minutes.
- Transfer flour mixture to a medium-sized bowl and beat with mixer until well combined.
- Add eggs to mixture and beat until well-combined. If you have a mixer with a paddle attachment, use it here. If not just mix as long as you can then stir with a spoon.
- Stir in cheese.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Using an ice cream scoop or large spoon scoop the batter into 2-3 tbs sized buns.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes depending on size, until outside is browned.